Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mitten progress report

After creating and measuring the swatches of ribbing, cable, and stockinette, students determined how many stitches they should cast on to do the ribbing for their wrists. Barb helps Jonas, at right, to get the hang of knitting on two circulars after the cast on.

Once they reached the length of the cuff they wanted, most had to increase (mostly using make 1) to get enough stitches to fit the width of their hand with the cable that they had chosen for the back of the hand and stockinette stitch across the palm. Alyssa and Lindsay are at this point below.

Cassie tries to overcome the tightness of the cable she has chosen. I recommended that she try to avoid creating stitches at the tips of her needle. Although she is completely new to knitting, her mitten is coming along beautifully and she is looking forward to showing it off to her knitting mother and sisters.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This mitten project started out to be very confusing but now I am getting the hang of it. I love the yarn I am using because it has lots of different colors. I'm excited to see how my mittens turn out! Haley Carpenter

Anonymous said...

The mitten project is really fun, other than I have a small problem with my ribbing. They are not tight enough. I need to make them longer next time. And the decreasing part is kind of hard, I am always worrying about my mittens will look different in size, but it actually turns out right, I am glad. Speaking of first pair of mittens, I think it's pretty good!!