Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Finishing the mitten

The last step in the mitten is the thumb. Put the stitches that are currently on the piece of yarn back onto your needles - either the two circulars or 3 double pointeds. Join a new piece of yarn at the joint between the thumb and hand and knit the first round.
At the end of this first round pick up a stitch in the corner.











Continue knitting rounds until the thumb section reaches to the middle of your thumbnail and begin a 3 point decrease
(total number of stitches / 3) - 2 = X
knit X stitches, knit 2 together around then
knit X-1 stitches, knit 2 together and continue with one less stitch before the decrease until you have between 6 and 10 stitches depending on the weight of your yarn. Cut the yarn and thread through the remaining stiches, pull tight and fasten.












You can use the end of the joined thumb yarn to sew close any holes at the thumb-hand joint.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really happy with how my mittens turned out. I have never made mittens before and have to admit that I feel I could become addicted. The final product makes you feel so accomplished.

Anonymous said...

I am done with my first mitten and working on the second. I really like how my first mitten turned out. There were alot of new steps to learn for these, but I feel like I got them down pretty easily. My cabling was a little difficult becuase I cabled 5 stitches, so it got tight, but I am really happy with the results!
-Cassie

Anonymous said...

I finished my first mitten today and I love how it turned out. The cabling looks really nice and wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I have started my next mitten and am anxious to have it done so I can wear them!

Anonymous said...

I thought that in the beginning it was difficult but as I started knitting it became quite a bit easier

Anonymous said...

I am not yet completed with both of my mittens but I have only the thumb left on my left hand. I am actually really happy with how they turned out. I was worried that they wouldn't very similar but for the most part they do. My cable is different and knowing now how it looks, I probably would've chosen a different pattern. The mittens are actually quite warm too!!

Anonymous said...

So I finished my second mitten and it it definitely fitting better than the first one I made. I love the color by the way:)

lindsay Nestande said...

I finished my second mitten a few days ago and I'm really happy with the way they turned out! I like the way they changed colors as I went along and I'm excited to wear them.
-lindsay