Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Some comments on our trip to see knitting machines

Kathy: This part of the trip was pretty crazy. The lady demonstrated a knitting machine to us and it blew my mind. Although many of us thought that knitting by hand made you feel more accomplished, the knitting machine is still pretty cool.


Whitney: Although knitting machines are quite handy, they don't seem to have the same effects on a person. To me, knitting is relaxing and it gives you a sense of accomplishment when you're done. Knitting something means that you worked hard to make an item out of a ball of yarn, and when you get done everything was worth it. Therefore, using a knitting machine wouldn't give me the same satisfaction.


Mary: Learning how to use this machine just makes me appreciate hand-knit items that much more. I have a hard time believing that anyone who uses this machine is technically a knitter because all they do is slide a handle back and forth. I guess I can understand that some talent is required when one would make their own patterns.


Haley: I had no idea knitting machines even existed until the beginning of this class. It was a jaw dropper! I really enjoyed seeing how a knitting machine worked, but I personally enjoy making my own knitted items by hand.


Erin: Despite the speed of this technique, I have absolutely no interest in purchasing a knitting machine. While I enjoy the final products I produce when knitting, the real joy that I find in knitting comes from the process itself.


Cassie: I personally was not impressed with machine knitting. Although it was fast and amazing how quickly the machine did patterns, I did not feel there was any sense of accomplishment when finishing a knitting project. The reason for me to knit is for a relaxing hobby. A lot of work goes into hand knitting a project, so when I am done, I feel a great sense of pride and accomplishment in what I have made. When learning the process of completing a project on a knitting machine, I just could not envision myself getting the same feeling with machine knitting.


Ashley: The knitting machine store was slightly agitating. I was impressed by the variety of stitches one person could do on a simple machine. I found it, however, infuriating that someone would count machine knitting, which takes a couple hours, better or as great as hand knitting. True appreciation in my eyes comes from taking the time to commit to an item and feel proud when it is done.


Stephy: For me, knitting is more like a way to relax, a way to enjoy the process, not the speed. Knitting machines can definitely save a lot of time, but it loses the true meaning of knitting.


Stephanie: I have to wonder if following a pattern verbatim by hand is really that much different from doing it on a machine. The time it takes to hand knit versus machine knit is intimidating, but both can be artistic and creative under the right circumstances.


Alyssa: I personally did not care for the knitting machine. The products did not look handmade and that's one of the things I love about knitting. The machine turned knitting into just being about the end result. Knitting for me is about the process and relaxation.


Katie: I think it is more valuable to actually hand knit a scarf or hat because it has more sentimental value and I feel like you would have more pride after finishing it.

No comments: